Taika Waititi is now halfway to earning an EGOT, the honour for those that have an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Tony under their belts. Just an Emmy and Tony to go, Taika!
The acclaimed New Zealand filmmaker, known for hits such as Boy, What We Do in the Shadows, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Thor: Ragnarok and Jojo Rabbit, has earned himself a major music industry award for the latter. Waititi scored a Best Compilation Soundtrack Grammy for Jojo Rabbit, which contains music by The Beatles, Tom Waits and David Bowie, among others.
“Lol wtfffff,” Waititi tweeted.
Lol wtfffff https://t.co/y8MSNTaUrn
— Taika Waititi (@TaikaWaititi) March 14, 2021
“I guess they’re just giving Grammys to anyone now,” Waititi said in an acceptance speech he sent through from set.
“I’ll take it! Thank you. What can I say, it was so long ago, I can barely remember anything about making that movie. But it seems like it’s never going to go away, and I’m happy with that.”
Take a look…
Taika Waititi halfway to his EGOT and accepting his Grammy on the Thor: Love and Thunder set 🥳 pic.twitter.com/cCY9NW9Mk1
— Thor: Love and Thunder News (@lovethundernews) March 14, 2021
Jojo Rabbit, which told of a young boy in Hitler’s army (with Waititi playing an imaginary Hitler) finding out that his mother is hiding a Jewish girl in their home, also earned Waititi an Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay.
Waititi has a number of exciting projects on the horizon, including true-story football movie Next Goal Wins, with Michael Fassbender, Elisabeth Moss and more; his second Marvel film, Thor: Love and Thunder, which will have Natalie Portman taking on the Thor mantle and Christian Bale playing a villain; and a still-untitled Star Wars movie.
Here’s the complete track list of the Jojo Rabbit: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack:
- “Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand”, recorded by the Beatles (1964), written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney
- “Tabou”, recorded by the Lecuona Cuban Boys (1935); written by Margarita Lecuona
- “The Dipsy Doodle”, recorded by Chick Webb and His Orchestra featuring Ella Fitzgerald (1937); written by Larry Clinton
- “I Don’t Wanna Grow Up”, performed by Tom Waits (1992); written by Tom Waits and Kathleen Brennan
- “Everybody’s Gotta Live”, recorded by Love (1974); written by Arthur Lee
- “Mama”, recorded by Roy Orbison (1962); written by Joe Melson, Roy Orbison and Roy Rush
- “Helden (Heroes)” performed by David Bowie (1989; 2002 Remaster); written by David Bowie and Brian Eno
- “Jojo’s Theme”, by Michael Giacchino
- “Waltz And Chorus From Faust (Act III)”, performed by Roger Wagner Conducting the Roger Wagner Chorale and The Hollywood Bowl Symphony Orchestra (1957), music by Charles Gounod, lyrics by Jules Barbier and Michel Carré
- “A Butterfly’s Wings”, by Michael Giacchino
- “Rosie’s Nocturne”, by Michael Giacchino
- “Frühlingsstimmen Waltz, Op. 410”, performed by Gerald Wirth conducting the Vienna Boys Choir (Wiener Sängerknaben) with The Salonorchester Alt Wien (2018), written by Johann Strauss II (1882)