Wes Ball Returning to Direct Third ‘Maze Runner’ Movie

Wes_Ball

It’s not often that one director is at the helm of every movie in a Y.A. film franchise, but Wes Ball can count himself as one of the lucky few.

Ball has confirmed to Variety that he will be returning at the helm of The Maze Runner: The Death Cure, the third and final picture in the trilogy that started with last year’s The Maze Runner.

Based on James Dashner’s Y.A. sci-fi book series, the film adaptation of The Maze Runner marked Ball’s feature film directorial debut. The film was a hit, raking in over $340 million worldwide on a production budget of $34 million. The second film, Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials, is currently on its worldwide roll out, opening in Australia on September 10 and hitting the U.S. on September 18.

“Ultimately our goal is to create an awesome three-movie trilogy. Not many people have done that and now I have the opportunity to do that,” Variety quotes Ball as saying.

“I am directing the third film and we’ve already been busy preparing and working on the final conclusion of this saga.”

The director, who up until The Maze Runner had been at the helm of three short films, said the second film has set up “things that aren’t necessarily apparent” and that The Death Cure will see them “pay off big time.”

“At first I wasn’t sure if I was going to do it or not, but honestly, it was the cast that I wanted to work with again,” Ball said. “They are such great people.”

The Maze Runner: The Death Cure is currently lined up for U.S. release on February 17, 2017.

You can find our review of Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials right HERE.

THE MAZE RUNNER

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.